Get your 2014 Love & Records raffle tickets today for a chance to win one of the three prizes.
The draw will take place on September 13 at 7:00 pm live at this years event.
For more information check out these posters for more information:
Friday, March 21 - Friday, March 28
This year marks 10 years of CKXU on the FM dial and we're aiming to go bigger and better! Please pledge your support during this year's FUNdrive (March 21st to 28th) to help us increase our signal strength and bring CKXU to more listeners than ever.
Our phone lines are now closed. Thanks sooo much to everyone who pledged this year!
We blasted through our goal and our grand total now stands at $13 515!!
What? FUNdrive is CKXU's annual fundraising initiative. We ask our loyal listeners to dig deep and pony up some cold hard cash to support the station. In return, we offer swag in the form of Friends Cards, tshirts, mugs, hoodies, tote bags, stickers, and various assorted trinkets and baubles. And high fives.
When? this year we've moved FUNdrive from October to March. FUNdrive will start bright and early at 9am Friday, March 21st and will end at 6pm the following Friday, March 28th.
Why? Because radio is a capital intensive business! There are many obvious and not-so-obvious costs associated with being a campus-community radio station. These include:
grants: “CKXU’S SIGNAL TRANSMISSION UPGRADE PROJECT” - In 2013, CKXU applied for and received the City of Lethbridge Community Capital Project Grant worth $10,912 towards a total project cost of $21,824.75. FUNdrive donation proceeds will be partially utilized to fund CKXU’s commitment to their half of the matching grant! This will be the first bold step towards increasing CKXU’s transmission strength – or BOOSTING THE SIGNAL!
equipment: Our cd players run about 10-12 hours all day, every day of the year. This means they often need to be repaired and sometimes even replaced. Our turntables may be used less frequently than the cd players, but they still breakdown occasionally and sometimes a new cartridge, stylus or belt is required. Microphones are also fairly necessary for our broadcasting and they sure don't last forever.
office things: Paper, pens, printers, postage... It all adds up.
computers: Need to be updated, repaired, replaced. And don't even get me started on the new sound cards, programs and other upgrades that are needed from time to time.
fees: We pay fees to NCRA (National Campus and Community Radio Association), CRFC (Community Radio Fund of Canada), Re:Sound, and SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors, and Music Publishers of Canada), just to name a few.
Anything else? Yes! Every year surrounding FUNdrive we host LiveDrive events where we invite the community to join us in generally having a blast, though sometimes music, games, art, or movies are also involved. Here's this year's lineup:
1) Wednesday, March 19th Kickoff Party at CASA : Come down between 4 & 8pm to meet some of your favourite CKXU DJs, check out the new FUNdrive swag, and get the low down on CKXU and Campus-Community Radio. All ages are welcome to this free event.
2) Friday, March 21st CKXU Goes a Little Bit Country at the Slice : Every year we celebrate FUNdrive with a covers night and this year is no exception. Cosmic Charley, Planet Telex, St. Country Creep, and Treeline with Shaela Miller are cooking up some country covers for your listening pleasure. Sorry kiddos : 18+ for this event, and a $15 cover.
3) Sunday, March 23rd CupCakeCarnival at Lethbridge Public Library : Who loves cupcakes? We do! Join us in the Theatre Gallery between 2 & 4pm to get your fill. Are you a baker? We would love a donation of a dozen cupcakes. Think you've got exceptionally delicious cupcakes? Enter yours to win a prize. Our categories this year? Best Looking Cupcake, Best Tasting Cupcake, Best "True Alternative" Cupcake, and Most Creative Cupcake. All ages are welcome to this free event, but the cupcakes will cost you $2 each.
4) Tuesday, March 25th Board Games & Trivia Night at the Owl : We're breaking out the board games again this year starting at 6pm. Bring your own or play one of ours! A special FUNdrive edition of the Wise Owls Pub Quiz will run from 8 to 10pm. Minors are welcome until 10pm at this free event.
Mel here! I am the Volunteer Coordinator for the station. As you are here you are obviously interested in volunteering at the station. Volunteering with is a great way to make new friends and help out in the community! We have many ways that you can help out including:
- Having your own weekly radio show;
- Helping out in the music library;
- IT/Technical Support;
- Reviewing new music;
- Helping out at CKXU Events (see our events page);
- and many more!
Hope to meet you soon!
Not in Lethbridge? But still want to listen to CKXU? We have a variety of options:
On Campus or having trouble? try our new stream system: Click here for temporary Online Stream!
Click one of the links below to listen live with your application of choice or go here for more options.
Windows Media Player
Thanks for listening!
Donate $10 per month:
Donate $5 per month:
CKXU Radio Society is a Alberta Non-profit organization.
Registration Number 500104997